Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kitchen Scraps

 
Something new we've been working on this summer is saving our kitchen scraps for the compost pile and the chickens. We've not yet successfully made compost but a few years ago we made a compost bin and this year we're actually filling it up. To help prevent me and everyone else from being lazy and throwing away the scraps I placed two buckets on the kitchen counter next to the sink. One labeled for the chickens and one for the compost pile.
 

 
It really helps to have something with a lid so the kitchen doesn't stink. Well sometimes it stinks anyway but it's not from the scraps :)
 
So then there was the problem of what scraps to put in each bucket. So I printed this handy little picture from Healthy Homemakers that someone posted on Facebook and hung it over the sink. It lists what to compost, what not to compost, and how to compost.
 
 
 
I hope to find something similar to print that lists favorite chicken scraps. For now I'm just winging it and giving the chickens everything that's still good. I do have a website I reference to on my phone if something is questionable.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment