Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Attitude Adjustment

We're feeling pretty crummy around here this week. It's probably because I need an attitude adjustment. With a busy weekend of kitchen construction, a ton of activities planned, a chicken murderer (maybe a possum), and a wacky unrealistic budget for this month, I'm a little on edge. I spent Monday stressing and worrying. My seedlings are dying because they need to be transplanted. The garden isn't even close to ready because of a flat tiller tire. The list goes on and on. On top of it all I'm trying to plan a trip to my mom's in Florida, which may or may not work out.

Close to tears, I decided to take a time out. I logged on to Facebook and immediately saw an article posted by One Thousand Gifts. It looked inspiring so I read it and it was. It was about complaining kids. My kids complained a lot this week. But I complained more. I remember last week on Sunday morning I said the words "when you're feeling down, the best thing you can do is serve". It was clear to me that the kids and I desperately needed to serve. We needed to work on our hearts. We all needed an attitude adjustment. We needed to create an attitude of gratitude.

So I dug out some cards. Blank cards and thank you cards. I put them in a pretty basket and cleaned off the kitchen table (which isn't even in the kitchen) and set everything out. While I was at it, I got out the supplies to finish Mary's science project. Then I gathered up Taylor's social studies project materials and took them to her. I kindly told her that she is on her own and I expected her project to be done in time for the fair on Thursday night. Her eyes widened with shock. But she smiled and said ok. I knew she could do it. It wasn't even a difficult project. I've been babying her and she's been taking advantage of me.

Now my plan is to utilize every baby and toddler tool that will keep the two littles busy and distract them from terrorizing. Then, I will put my kitchen back together, transplant any seedlings that have survived and put the big girls to work. The floor is on hold until Curtis has time and the garden is on hold until we can order tiller tires.

Prayer and thanksgiving will adjust the attitude of our hearts and good old fashioned hard work will adjust our circumstances. Some times we all just need an adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment