Friday, July 26, 2013

Bread...

 Who would have ever thought that eating bread would be this complicated? I've always just bought a loaf of bread at the store and never even considered what was in it or where it came from. If I was feeling healthy or on a diet I might have bought some kind of whole grain or wheat bread. But we didn't really care for the "brown, healthy" bread.
 
It wasn't until the last few years that I starting having the desire to make my own bread with organic, healthy ingredients of my choice. I've been making organic whole wheat bread in my bread machine for a few months now. The kids and I like it but my husband doesn't. So I've been playing around with homemade bread recipes and different ingredients, trying to come up with something my entire family can enjoy.
 
Attempt number one.
Got a good recipe from a friend but I used the wrong flour. How was I supposed to know that pastry flour isn't for bread? Well, my rolls turned out more like biscuits and my bread was edible but my husband refused to eat it. Epic fail!
 
 
 
So I tried again. This time with the right flour and we changed the sugar to honey and the coconut oil to butter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Guess what? The rolls looked like rolls and tasted like rolls too!! Success!!
 
 


Unfortunately I only had one bread pan so I used a casserole dish for the second loaf and both loaves were undercooked in the center. Bummer!





Oh well. Practice makes better, right? We used the undercooked bread for tuna melts and garlic bread. It worked out ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment