Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012


This Mother's Day began much like every other day. At 3:00 am I got up to pump and prepare the baby's morning bottle. I made it back to bed fairly quickly but before I was able to fall asleep I heard a hungry little cry from over the monitor.

She drank her bottle right up and clearly was awake for the day. So at 5:00 we came downstairs and started our morning.

As I kissed and cuddled with her I took a few moments to reflect on motherhood. From there my mind wandered to homekeeping and all my "to do's". I decided that this day I would let my family spoil and take care of me, after all it was Mother's Day. I would not do any of the usual chores I so often find myself wrapped up in during family time. Today I would enjoy my family.

Then they woke up. One by one they told me happy Mother's Day, gave me a hug and plopped down on the couch. I slipped in a quick shower, got dressed (well actually half dressed) before graciously receiving my gifts. Then I managed to whip up some pancakes (they've got to eat, right?), fix hair & dress girls, pump two more times, and we were off to church, only about 7 minutes late! Shoot!! I forgot to brush my teeth.

During the hour and a half I spent calming my crying baby in the church nursery I was thankful to hear most of the sermon. I even shed a few tears while applying the lessons on mothering to my life.

Lunch was canceled due to a fussy baby so Dad took us home and went back out in the pouring rain for my favorite mexican food. The baby finally went to sleep so I got in a little homeschool research on the computer and we all watched Indiana Jones. I'll admit I didn't make it all the way through to movie. I snuck out towards the end and finished my research for our library trip the next day. I loaded the dishwasher and did one load of laundry (Daddy needed clean work clothes) while the baby and I stayed home from Sunday evening worship.

Each year Mother's Day means something a little different. At one time it was all about my Mother. Now I find it is more about my children and them feeling excited to celebrate me. A few years ago one Mother's Day I may have wanted a day "away" from it all. A day to myself, to be selfish and celebrate myself and all my hard work. But this year I celebrate this wonderful blessed life and embrace my crazy kids, dirty house, and undone chores. God has me right where He wants me and I am eternally grateful to Him for allowing me to be a Mother!! Three times He has blessed me with a prefect little girl to nurture and care for. He has entrusted me with three little souls to mold into faithful servants for Him. He has given me everything I need to do this work and provided me with His guidance and strength to succeed. I celebrate Him today!!

Now... what to feed everyone when they come flying in the door any minute???

No comments:

Post a Comment