Thursday, May 17, 2012

Not Caring Sure Is Easy

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to care about things? I don't mean that it's hard to care but rather when you care, life is more difficult. It doesn't matter what it is that you feel passionate about. You can bet, if you care about something your passion will cause you some pain.

The world can be so judgemental and hurtful to anyone who is different. Most people live normal everyday lives. Going about their busy days of work, school, church, meals, errands, and entertainment is normal. As long as they complete all these things each week, they are satisfied. But when you truly care about something it changes you. Caring more about anything can change the way you see everything!! Some for better and some not, but either way you will be changed.

Over the last few years I have developed a strong conviction to care more. I care more about my children. I care about what kind of an example I set for them and what kind of example the people around them are setting. I want them exposed to Godly things so one day their hearts will desire such things. We are to teach them to seek the things that are above. (Colossians 3:1,2) (Deuteronomy 11:19)

I care more about the health of my family and myself. As I learn more about the dangerous chemicals we have all allowed into our bodies and homes I want to stop it.  I want my home to be as safe and natural as possible. Does this make me strange? To the world it certainly does.

I care more about following in the footsteps of Jesus. Jesus was not wrapped up in a career. He was not busy trying to impress everyone around Him. He was not concerned with having the best or most beautiful anything, besides His perfect heart. I imagine if Jesus were on the earth today He would use our modern technology and  resources to reach out to others. He would care about the souls of the people He met. He would do God's work day and night. He would still be a perfect example of what we should strive for. Would that make Him strange? To the world, yes.

The world usually has great points when I talk with someone about my caring. They say things like "well you can't change everything", "I think you're right but, you may be taking it a little too far", "you need to be careful not to shelter your kids" or "the Bible says to be 'in' the world but not 'of' the world". While these all make sense it is very likely that if someone is saying one of these, they are "in" and "of" the world. We are supposed to be different and if our life is not difficult because of difference then we are not different enough. Not caring is most definitely the easy way to live. The world says "after all the Bible says not to worry, doesn't it?". It's funny how the world uses scripture to make a point.

I say we need to care more. Care about souls, care about family, care about doing God's work day and night. Even if it makes life hard. Even if we have no money and no time for ourselves. Care.

I know I have a long, hard journey ahead of me. But I will not stop caring!

1 comment:

  1. I have felt the same kind of things, Holly! Its so easy not to care because then nothing is required of us.Not caring about our health will slowly kill us, not caring about others will slowly kill our spirits. I want to partake in the character of Christ. The pattern is: John 3:16 we all know that but 1 John 3:16 is awesome too. 'This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.' I want to follow the pattern! Love you.

    ReplyDelete