Monday, August 3, 2015

Hello August, School, and a Birthday!

For everyone who's waiting on Part 2 of Our Detour, this is not it. This is an "oh my goodness, I can't believe the girls are going to school!" post. Oh my goodness. Not only can I not believe that I've put them in school, I can not believe that their first day is already here!
 
We did the half day/registration day last week and everything went well. Registration day pictures :)
 
 
 
Mary's classroom and teacher are awesome. She was excited to meet new friends and is looking forward to the third grade adventure! Her classroom theme is The Third Grade Explorers. Mary was definitely born to explore!
 
 Taylor said that she felt very welcomed by her new classmates and teachers. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. We were sent home with a mountain of papers and forms and the usual beginning of the year fundraiser stuff. I'm sure some parents are annoyed with the mountain but I'm not. I get it. After being the PTO president at Taylor's elementary school years ago, followed by 5 years of homeschooling, I can totally understand the amount of time, money, effort, and papers! it takes to run a successful school. 
 
 
We made a quick (not-so-quick) run to fill up on school supplies and we were READY! Except that three of our notebooks were wrong, we forgot the antibacterial wipes, and we couldn't decide if the mixed media paper would work for canvas paper. But eventually we got it all worked out, after two more trips to the store ;)
 
So... on to the birthday part of the first day of school. Yes, the first day of third grade was also Mary's 8th birthday! Craziness!! So what do you do when your child is super nervous about her first day/birthday? You bake something fun, I guess.
 
Here's my version of unhealthy birthday cookie sandwiches.
 
1 box of funfetti cake mix
1/2 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
Lots of sprinkles
Mini m&ms
Mini chocolate chips
 
Mix all of that together and chill for about 10 minutes.
 
 
Roll into balls and roll in powdered sugar. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
 
 
Cool.
 
 
Admire the awesomeness (forgive my phone pics)
 
 
Bandage a boo-boo and wash hands.
 
 
Spread on some vanilla marshmallow frosting (store bought) and smush together. Roll edges in sprinkles.
 
*As I admired these lovely cookie sandwiches I realized something. Sending these extremely gooey sugar sandwiches in, for third graders to attempt to eat at lunch on the first day of school may not be the best idea.
 
So.... back to the drawing board (or kitchen).
 
 
Truffles!
 
 
I made truffles for the class to enjoy at lunch. The gooey cookie sandwiches were sent home with each kid as a treat. Double the fun, right!
 
 
 
It took some time to organize and then reorganize but I think we got everything where it needed to be.
 
 
Since Mary's teacher Mrs. B's theme for the year is The Third Grade Explorers, I decided that I just had to make her a canvas for her classroom! I hope she loves it!

 

Happy Back to School Kiddies!




No comments:

Post a Comment